Tuesday, March 4, 2008

The God Particle

After reading the article about the new particle accelerator being built I was still a bit confused on what the whole god particle thing was.  Is it the particle that proves the big bang theory is possible?  I think it's good that money is being spent on something that could be very important and enhance our understanding of the world we live in.  Even though the whole size of this whole thing is a bit drastic, I think it would be worth it.  In the case that we did find the god particle, it would definitely be worth it however slim the chances.  Increasing the understanding of particles that make up atoms could help a lot because that could be used to understand what makes up larger things.  Without our current understanding of small particles, ipods and other such items would not be possible.  I didn't understand much of the atomic stuff, and some of the analogies didn't really make much sense to me.  I think I got the general idea of it, and it seems like this god particle probably wouldn't be found.  If and when the god particle is found it won't hang around for long and will be split in less than a second.  There would also require many runs of smashing atoms together.  The chances of the run to actually create the god particle is very slim.  Overall, I think that it is beneficial to the world to create this particle accelerator and use it to learn more about our world.

2 comments:

Smeber said...

I also mentioned how we need to first find out how the small things work before we can improve on them. I thought the God particle proving the Big Bang Theory is what they meant too but i wasn't really sure. It cool that we're trying to answer the deeper questions in life but i think eventually scientists may discovering things we might not want to here. I mean with all the different types of religions we have and stuff some people might get kinda mad if somehow it's all disproved. So i think we should try researching new things but there should be a point at which we should stop at.

Katie said...

If there is a very slim chance that we will find the God particle and you don't even know what it will prove why do you think we should be spending money on it?