
Sunday, February 3, 2008
Chemical Reaction "Fire/Combustion"
This is probably my favorite chemical reaction. I used this source to help me get a better idea of what was actually going on atomically. As Robbie said in his blog, there is no one equation for fire. There are multiple ones some of which include; CH4 + 2O2 > CO2 + 2H2O and CH2S + 6F2 > CF4 + 2HF + SF6. The most basic one commonly used in rocket engines is; 2H2 + O2 > 2H2O + heat. Fire and combustion reactions are a huge part of our society. They keep us warm. Combustion is used in fireworks, cars, planes and rockets. It is the reason we have engines in anything. Combustion is what causes engines to run. Also fire helps us with heat needs and dispose of unneeded garbage. Although there are also hurtful sides to fire and combustion obviously. First, and most obvious, fire and combustion can burn skin and do huge amounts of damage. It is also used in guns, missiles and can be used in its simplest form to burn buildings down. I think I would still rather have fire even though there are many bad things about it to weigh out the good.

Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Great post! I really liked how you gave a few different chemical equations and explained about the different types.
WOW! This post is very thought out and easy to read. I understood everyhting you were trying to say and i like how you researched your topic before writing about it.
Nice post kyle, fire really is pretty important. If there wasn't fire we'd probably all either a)become vegetarian because there would be no way to cook meat -or- b)some of us risk tape worm and disease by eating sushi everyday.
Post a Comment